In ancient times they was called Korasiae Islands, (the name has been retained in the islet Korasida). Porphyry, philosopher of the Hellenistic period (1st cent. AD) mentions them as Korseas, a name which they retain to this day.
Miletians (Ions) were the first to colonize the island because it had quarries and moved to carry the rocks toward Miletus, from which was built. Pirates during the Byzantine era and the Middle Ages used it as their base. Myths mention treasures.
At that time, however, the residents abandoned the island and reoccupied it in 1770 to reach its current structure and form. The first houses were huts. Each was long and narrow, built of schist stones and the ceilings were covered with beams and fides (wood species of the island).